You may require a follow-up procedure if you are experiencing problems after breast augmentation with another medical practice. Wisconsin Institute of Plastic Surgery encourages you to contact our offices in Appleton or Green Bay to schedule an appointment and to discuss your concerns.
Dr. Sauerhammer, our plastic surgeon, is a board-certified specialist with years of experience resolving these types of issues. With a breast implant removal procedure, she can address several problems that can develop after surgery to restore your comfort and improve the appearance of your breasts.
Benefits of a Breast Implant Removal Procedure
After 10 to 15 years, breast implants may need to be removed or replaced. In addition, some patients experience complications in the months or years after their augmentation surgery. Some signs of problems with implants include:
- A change in volume. A ruptured or older implant may change the size or fullness of the breast.
- Loss of symmetry/shape. Your breasts may no longer look alike or may have an abnormal appearance if the shape of the implant changes.
- Capsular contracture. Following a normal breast augmentation, your implant will form a natural envelope of scar tissue. Complications including infection can lead the envelope to thicken and contract, causing distortion and discomfort.
- Unexplained systemic symptoms. Although rare, you may be experiencing symptoms of fatigue, pain and hormonal imbalance which may or may not be related to breast implants.
If you have symptoms like those described above, schedule an appointment with Dr. Sauerhammer. She can help you decide if you need a follow-up surgery to remove or replace your implants.
Is Breast Implant Removal Right for You?
Before making a decision about surgery, our Appleton and Green Bay patients have extensive time to talk about their options and learn about likely outcomes. Dr. Sauerhammer emphasizes transparency, education, and a patient-centered approach in all aspects of treatment.
For some women, the priority with breast implant removal is simply getting the implant taken out — not replacing it. These patients may have enough breast tissue to maintain a similar appearance even without an implant. Other patients who have smaller breasts may see a more noticeable difference when their implants are removed. We support patients in both categories and whatever their preferences are.
Many other women choose to restore their breasts to the way they looked before they had problems with their implants. In these cases, Dr. Sauerhammer can perform a breast implant removal, preserve fullness with an augmentation, and even revise the shape with a lift. In some patients who prefer not to have a breast implant replaced, fat transfer can be an option.
What Is the Recovery from Breast Implant Removal Like?
Recovering from a breast implant removal procedure is similar to what you can expect following a breast lift. In general:
- We advise our Appleton and Green Bay patients not to lift anything heavy for 6-8 weeks.
- After your procedure, you will wear a supportive bra for about two months. This will help in the healing process.
- It may take a year for incision scars to soften and flatten to their final state.
Wisconsin Institute of Plastic Surgery provides post-operative guidance to patients with a focus on scar care, massage, and sun care. These steps can help patients reduce the appearance of incision lines over time.
Pricing for Breast Implant Removal in Appleton and Green Bay
A breast implant removal varies in price depending on the needs of each patient. Typically, a procedure to exchange an implant costs $4,000 to $6,000.
Factors that can affect the pricing include the condition of the implant and breast before surgery; the type of implant that Dr. Sauerhammer is removing; whether she is replacing the implant with another; the type of implant she is using in the augmentation; and whether fat transfer is performed.
Before Dr. Sauerhammer recommends surgery, she will learn about your symptoms, perform a comprehensive examination, and discuss her findings with you. Collaborative planning and transparent pricing will ensure that you make the best decision about your treatment. At any stage in the process, we invite you to ask questions so that you can choose your care with complete confidence.