It is natural to dream about having the slender abdomen of your youth—especially as you age or face pregnancy. However, abdominal bulges, stretch marks, excess fat, and sagging skin might be what you see in the mirror, and no amount of dieting or exercise is likely to correct these changes in your body.
However, a tummy tuck could solve the problem and deliver great results. At the Wisconsin Institute of Plastic Surgery, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Sauerhammer consults with patients near Oshkosh, Wisconsin area to address tummy tuck needs and help them realize a more contoured and youthful midsection.
A tummy tuck, known as abdominoplasty, is a plastic surgery that involves repairing separated abdominal muscles, removing excess skin, reducing stubborn fat deposits, and creating a firm and flat belly. A tummy tuck sculpts one’s midsection and requires a skilled plastic surgeon who is intimately familiar with anatomy and who possesses the aesthetic vision to realize gorgeous results.
During the procedure, connective tissue that is present in the abdomen is tightened with sutures while excess skin and fat are removed. Then, the remaining skin that covers the abdomen is repositioned to create a toned and taught external appearance that appears lean and youthful.
A tummy tuck presents the opportunity to lose, on average, up to 10 pounds of excess skin and fat from the abdomen. The procedure carries these benefits:
- It strengthens your core. It will enable you to feel stronger and fitter because the muscles under your belly will be tightened, which can restore a weakened core, improve flexibility, relieve lower back pain, and enhance posture.
- It can minimize the risk of certain medical conditions. When excess skin and fat are present in your body, your risk for heart disease, sleep apnea, gallbladder disease, gallstones, and diabetes increases, and eliminating this tissue could minimize risk.
- It improves your self-image. Losing excess fat and skin around your midsection can help you feel and look better in your clothes, allow you to look forward to putting on a bikini, and help you feel more self-assured in intimate situations.
A good candidate for a tummy tuck is:
- In good physical health
- Has excess skin and fat around the midsection due to weight loss or pregnancy
- Understanding that diet and exercise cannot solve their tummy problem
- Realistic in their expectations
- At a stable and maintainable weight prior to the procedure
- Is committed to taking time off from smoking or alcohol prior to and after the surgery
- Finished having children
- Not suffering from obesity
If you could be a good candidate for a tummy tuck you are invited to reach out to Dr. Sauerhammer at the Wisconsin Institute of Plastic Surgery and schedule a consultation.
When considering any sort of plastic surgery, it is also important to consider the average cost of a tummy tuck near Oshkosh, Wisconsin. You can anticipate a tummy tuck costing around $10,500. Of course, this price is also dependent on your needs and situation—so a consultation is recommended.
The cost will typically include the facility or hospital fee, the plastic surgeon’s fee, anesthesia, and other services that are unique to your situation.
Are You Ready to Improve Your Appearance?
Dr. Sauerhammer is committed to truly understanding your unique goals and devotes herself to providing high-quality, life-changing results for every patient, every time. If you are ready to learn more about how the Wisconsin Institute of Plastic Surgery can help you achieve your ideal image, call our office today to request a consultation!
At our facility, you will be administered general anesthesia so you will not feel pain during the procedure. During the surgery, Dr. Sauerhammer will make incisions between your belly button and pubic hair to remove most of the fat and skin. The fascia or connective tissue that is present over your abdominal muscles will then be tightened with sutures, and the skin around the belly button will be repositioned.
The procedure typically takes two to three hours, and you will also be given an antibiotic during the surgery to minimize the risk of infection.
You will be able to return home as soon as you wake up and the effects of the anesthesia wear off. However, be prepared to have a helper with you who can wait during the procedure, drive you home, and then assist you for at least the first few days around the house and with children.
The incision from the procedure will be covered in gauze, and your midsection will be swathed in a compression band or garment to help with the healing process and reduce swelling, protect the incision site, and enable good circulation.
Expect to do a lot of resting in the first couple of weeks, and it is likely that you will then be able to return to work and your daily activities. However, abstain from strenuous labor or exercise for at least six weeks. Consult with your plastic surgeon on a timeline, and of course, if you experience swelling, redness, or fever during your recovery, reach out to your surgeon as you may have an infection.
For more information about tummy tucks near Oshkosh, Wisconsin, contact Dr. Sauerhammer and the team at the Wisconsin Institute of Plastic Surgery.